Potato skins always reminds me of going to Fridays or Chili’s back in the day. You always wanted an appetizer and normally that was the one that looked so delicious. Potato skins are delicious, but also can come with some added calories.
Typically Phillip and I try to make recipes with our health in mind. Eat right, exercise, and laugh a lot is our recipe for staying physically and mentally healthy. But every once an a while we indulge a bit and carbo load. This week we decided to make cheesy, creamy, bacon-filled, potato skins. Yes, we did also make zucchini skins to try to mix and match but we definitely ate all the potato skins in one sitting.
Do you really blame us? Make these and tell me you didn’t pig out and then take a nap after. We did. And that is totally fine. Tomorrow we are taking the dogs for a hike and then probably going to indulge again on tacos. It all burns off somehow. When you bake everything on the same pan you’re odds of eating the heathy food first is slim. We are loving our new pan set, check ’em out!
We made these in the classic style but making these brought up so many ideas! Korean pulled pork skins, taco skins, shepard’s pie skins, all the potatoes please. January is supposed to be the healthy month but there’s some wiggle room in there. Everything in moderation they say.
Try out our recipe for baked potato skins and put your own twist on it. Phillip was dipping his in barbecue sauce by the end of the day.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
Baked Potato Skins
- 4 potatoes of your choice
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- ⅓ cup bacon bits
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 jalapeno sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Use a fork and create punctures in each potato
- Wrap wet paper towel around each potato and microwave 5 minutes
- Flip potatoes in microwave and cook 5 more minutes
- Slice potatoes in half length wise
- Scoop out potato inside from each half creating potato shells. Leave a little bit of potato on the sides and bottom to keep shape
- On baking pan brush potatoes with butter and sprinkle salt and pepper over potatoes
- Bake for 10 minutes and add cheese to potatoes
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted to your liking
- Top potatoes with sour cream, green onion, bacon, and jalapeños. Serve hot