One of our quick go-to’s has been this BBQ Chicken Bowls with Spicy Almond Slaw. This is so quick to make. Everything is thrown on a sheet pan to cook giving you enough time to make the sauces and enjoy! We switched up a classic coleslaw and instead used our Spicy Almond Butter Sauce to mix up the flavors a bit. We were happily surprised how well the almond butter sauce and BBQ sauce paired together. Check out the recipe below!
Its all about the sauce in these healthy bowls
If you haven’t tried out Spicy Almond Butter Sauce yet, here is your chance! The sauce is so fresh with a little zing at the end. We love to add it to some cabbage, carrots, and red onion for a side dish or even to add to sandwiches and wraps. Sometimes we like to made this for a dip with some fresh veggies. It’s our favorite slaw so we figured to try it out in these BBQ Chicken Bowls with Spicy Almond Butter Sauce.
We decided that our Spicy Almond Butter Sauce was the perfect twist on the coleslaw needed for this dish. We just chopped up a mixture of cabbage and carrots for these BBQ Chicken Bowls. However, mixed with some broccoli heads and snap peas are our favorite. If you are feeling adventurous go ahead and mix in some extra veggies in your coleslaw!
Phillip is from Tennessee and he sure does love his barbecue. He tested this BBQ sauce so many times until he got to perfection. Try out our BBQ Chicken Salad and BBQ Sliders with Jalapeño Slaw once you try out this sauce. It is tangy and sweet, absolute heaven. When we decided to make these BBQ Chicken Bowls with Spicy Almond Slaw Phillip said we had to use his BBQ sauce, no question about it. We prefer a thick sauce to add on top. If you choose to add the sauce before baking, it comes out just as delicious.
That sauce has a lot of ingredients
If you do decide to add the BBQ sauce to the chicken while baking, we suggest you make a double batch of the sauce. That way you can add extra on top once finished baking. We understand there are a lot of ingredients to this sauce. Phillip and I suggest making a big batch of sauce to freeze for future use. Another option is to make our Rib seasoning to make the sauce again and again. We typically make a batch of the Rib seasoning to later use for other recipes or make more fresh bbq sauce.
From our kitchen to yours cheers!
Make sure to try these next!
BBQ Chicken Bowls with Spicy Almond Slaw
- 2 chicken breast cubed
- 1 sweet potato cubed
- 1 can corn
- ½ yellow onion sliced thick
- 1 ½ cup green cabbage chopped
- 1 ½ cup red cabbage chopped
- 1 carrot peeled
- 2 cups spinach
- 4 tbsp olive oil
Spicy Almond Butter Sauce
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 3 tbsp sriracha or chili garlic sauce
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- pinch salt
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce use just the sauce and 1-2 peppers
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- ¾ tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375°
- On a large sheet pan add cubed chicken, sweet potatoes, and onion. Sprinkle salt and pepper, drizzle the olive oil and mix well to make sure everything is coated.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°
- While the food is cooking, combine all Spicy Almond Butter Sauce in a blender until smooth. Mix in a bowl with the red and green cabbage and the carrots. Set aside.
- Combine all BBQ Sauce ingredients into a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat corn in a small pot over medium heat, once hot, strain and set aside in a small bowl
- Remove the pan from the oven and mix the chicken with the BBQ sauce.
- In a bowl start building your plate, lay down the spinach, top with the spicy almond butter coleslaw, on top of the coleslaw add the sweet potatoes, yellow onions, corn, and chicken. Drizzle additional BBQ sauce on top and serve!