We have been on our soup game recently. Next up on the list, Buffalo Chicken Soup! Phillip and I love this small soup shop in the heart of Baltimore called Soups On. We go there at least once a week and try out their clever and delicious soups for lunch. A few months back we tried their Buffalo Chicken Soup and fell in complete love with it. So we figured we’d try out our own.
Buffalo Chicken Soup
Buffalo Soup Base
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ red onion diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 4 chicken breasts shredded
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 packet ranch seasoning
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- green onion
- cooked rice
- In a pot bring water to a boil and boil chicken until cooked
- Shred chicken and place aside
- Dice up the onion and celery and put aside with the chicken
- In stock pot or dutch oven add 1 tbsp butter, onion, and celery. Cook 3-5 minutes
- Add chicken to the pot and stir. Let cook another 3 minutes
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer
- While waiting for the broth to simmer add 2 tbsp butter to a sauce pan
- Slowly add in flour and chicken broth and whisk until smooth
- Add ranch packet and heavy cream and bring to simmer
- Add cream cheese in small amounts at a time to let it melt easier
- Once cream cheese is fully melted and everything is mixed well slowly stir in cheddar cheese
- Now that the chicken broth in the stock pot is to a simmer add the cup of buffalo sauce to the stock pot and stir until mixed with the broth
- Add the cheese sauce to the stock pot and stir until the cheese sauce is dissolved into the broth
- Let simmer 5-10 minutes and then serve over rice and garnish with green onions and avocado slices
This recipe packs a punch. While it does have a kick to it because of the buffalo sauce you can lighten it up with swapping out some of the buffalo sauce for additional chicken broth. In addition we chose to opt out of adding carrots to the soup which is widely used. To cut down on the kick you can dice up a carrot or two and add to assist.
In order to add a little more texture to the soup we garnished this with long grain white rice. You can opt out of this if you would like or try another grain, barely would probably be really good with this. I keep wanting to try hominy beans in this but forget to grab them at the store every time we make this.
Another garnish we enjoy with this dish is avocado slices. This helps to tone down some of the spice as well. Add more or less as you desire. We love the creaminess of this soup and the addition that the avocado adds to it.
However you decide to make this soup, we hope you enjoy it as much as we do. This soup can be as simple or as complicated as you would like. We boiled the chicken and then shredded it. However, you can purchase a rotisserie chicken to use and cut down on cooking time even more. We love to make this in our dutch oven. We like both this dutch oven and this one too!
Check out some of our other favorite soups we’ve been simmering up recently.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!