What is better to dip into a big bowl of chili than cheddar jalapeño bread. The warm cheesiness that this bread adds to any dish or sandwich is mouthwatering. Ever wanted to spice up your bread life with something new and exciting… I’m not sure how you can get more exciting than this! You’ll love the cheesy spicy combination even just by itself.
Make sure to use a nice enamel coated dutch oven for baking, we love these Cuisinart and Lodge ovens for baking bread in. Make sure to cover the bottom of the dutch oven with flour so the bread doesn’t stick to the oven when baking.
When I came up with this recipe I wanted something that reminded me of cornbread, but as actual bread. I tweaked a couple different recipes, adding cheese by itself and though good, it was too cheesy. Then I added jalapeños to the mix the next time around oh boy, what a combination.
My favorite thing to do with this bread is make a grilled cheese with some sharp cheddar and dip it in a nice tomato soup. Or melted brie with caramelized onions inside.
The key to any good bread is letting the dough rise for a long enough time and then also letting the baked bread rest until almost cool. If you start to cut into the break too early a lot of times it smushes the bread and take away from the bounce. Also, letting the bread cool allows for the bread to finish cooking inside.
I tend to make the dough at night before bed that way it can rise during the night. Make sure that if you are cooking this bread in the winter to store the dough in a room temperature area. My kitchen typically it pretty cool in the winter and at night it gets cooler. This will effect the way the dough rises and ultimately some of the density and rise of the bread.
From our kitchen to your, cheers!
Jalapeño Cheddar Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp yeast
- ¼ cup diced jalapeños
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cup lukewarm water
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well
- Pour in water slowly and mix
- Add in jalapeños and cheddar and fold into the dough
- Cover bowl with dough in ball and let rise for 12-18 hours
- Re-knead dough, let rise 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450° with dutch oven in the oven to warm
- Place dough in dutch oven and bake for 30 minutes covered
- Sprinkle additional jalapeños and cheddar on top if desired and bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes longer
- Remove dough from oven and place dough on rack to let cool before serving