Are you sick of bringing the same old thing to summer parties? Us too. We decided to change it up and make a new staple, Chilled Spicy Noodle Salad. The one thing we can count of this summer is cookouts and barbecues. And if my mother taught me anything, it’s to never show up empty handed. Sure you can bring a store bought dessert or a case of beer but nothing makes you feel better than your friends biting into your food and hearing them happy yum. This recipe can be made in under 30 minutes and you don’t need to worry about keeping it warm.
Chilled Spicy Noodle Salad
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp beef broth
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 lb shrimp
Noodle Salad Components
- 1 zucchini ribboned
- 2 carrots peeled
- 1 package rice noodles
- Add butter and garlic to a pan over medium heat
- Cook shrimp for 5-10 minutes or until shrimp are fully cooked
- Let cool
- Add sesame oil and beef broth to a sauce pan over medium heat
- Once simmering, add peanut butter and red wine vinegar
- Whisk until peanut butter is soft and mixed well
- Finally add fish sauce, tamarind paste, and gochujang
- Let simmer 5 minutes and remove from heat and let cool
- Cook rice noodles by package directions
- While noodles are cooking, ribbon zucchini and peel carrots
- Rinse rice noodles under cold water until no longer warm
- Mix noodles with veggies and slowly stir in Noodle Sauce
- Serve with shrimp on top!
You know those dishes you make and the next day are too lazy to heat up so you just start eating it cold. Then you realize “WOW, this is better cold”. Well, that is this dish, our new go-to cookout dish. Save yourself the wait and just dig right in. Some people may want to cook the zucchini and carrot ribbons but I beg you to try this once not cooked first. I promise the crunch and flavors that will surprise you and leave you happily satisfied.
Can this be warmed?
OF COURSE! We have made this heated up too and it is just as delicious. Make this for a cookout or just for dinner at home. Heat a pan with a little sesame oil and add in the zucchini and carrot ribbons and cook for 3 minutes, add in the cooked rice noodles, then add the sauce. If you do decide to have this heated up try adding the shrimp to the pasta and cooking together for a few minutes to get the garlic flavors. It’s called Chilled Spicy Noodle Salad but that doesn’t mean it can’t be Hot Spicy Noodle Salad.
Heated up or chilled, this pasta salad is perfection! The heat comes slow and perfectly warms you up. So cook this up for your next backyard party the night before and enjoy your time without needing to worry about keeping the food hot!
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!