Lately all I see on social media is Banana Bread, well we decided to switch it up a bit and make our classic banana bread into Chocolate Covered Banana Coconut Donuts. For years I have been making banana bread as a way to win over my office on a Monday morning or as a dish to bring to brunch. It’s funny how even people who are not a sweets person loves banana bread. Now turn that into a pop-able baked donut and we are in trouble.
Chocolate Covered Banana Coconut Donuts
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 3 bananas
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In large bowl add dry ingredients: flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well to get out any chunks
- Add eggs and vanilla greek yogurt. Stir together with the dry ingredients until mixed together
- Add softened butter, vanilla extract, and bananas to the bowl and continue to mix until you get a smooth consistency
- Pour in shredded coconut to the bowl and mix well once more.
- In donut pan add banana mixture in each donut placement. Make sure not to fill to the top as the dough will bake and rise. Fill donut placement about ¾ of the way high with banana mixture
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and donut pan and let rest on rack to cool
- While donuts are cooling make the chocolate. In a small sauce pan over low heat mix the coconut oil and chocolate together. Consistently stir to avoid burning the chocolate
- Drizzle chocolate over donuts and enjoy!
When creating this recipe, my plan was to just switch out the amount of vanilla extract I normally use and swap some coconut extract in to add the flavor. However, no coconut extract in sight. The stores around us have still been pretty bare recently. But coconut extract, that I did not think would be out of stock. Thank goodness I had coconut shavings at home to get that sweet flavor in these yummy baked donuts.
These baked donuts are made with greek yogurt which makes them a fair bit healthier while still keeping them creamy. We chose to bake these as well to keep on the healthier side as well. Don’t get me wrong, there is still plenty of butter. And chocolate, lots of chocolate. Even with the butter and chocolate these donuts do not give off that dense weighted down feeling many donuts provide.
Right around the time we locked down, I decided to buy these silicone donut pans to try out. And I am sure happy I did. These baked donuts have been something we are making on repeat. Make sure to look out for other new baked donuts coming soon! Maybe I will try out some savory donuts soon. Hmm, the ideas are brewing in my mind. Or I can try turning my Raspberry Lemon Scones into some donuts!
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!