Sweet & spicy is the best combination, hands down. Every bite filled with a tang but also a sweetness that makes you go back for seconds and thirds. These Chorizo Stuffed Sweet Peppers are just that. The small sweet peppers mixed with some spicy chorizo provide the the perfect flavor combination. Add the tomato sauce and mozzarella to give this baked dish a cheesy creamy addition it needs. Check out our newest twist on stuffed peppers or try out an old favorite from our archive, Healthy Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Peppers!
Chorizo Stuffed Sweet Peppers
- 1 lb chorizo
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 small sweet peppers
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to hot skillet
- Once oil is heated, add garlic to pan and cook until fragrant
- Add in diced onions and garlic to skillet
- Add olive oil to saute pan and turn heat to medium
- Let cook for 2-3 minutes over medium high heat until onions are beginning to become translucent
- Add in tomato paste to skillet and let sit for 1-2 minutes until paste becomes aromatic
- Add in broth and diced tomatoes and let simmer for 10-15 minutes adding salt and pepper to taste
Chorizo Stuffed Sweet Peppers
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Mix the chorizo in the pan with garlic and saute until cooked
- While chorizo is cooking cut off the tops of the sweet peppers and remove the ribs and seeds
- Mix ¼ cup of the mozzarella into the chorizo and garlic
- Stuff the sweet peppers with the chorizo and mozzarella mix
- In oven safe pan, line bottom with tomato sauce
- Place stuffed sweet peppers in the pan with tomato sauce
- Top stuffed peppers with mozzarella and bake for 20-25 mins and cheese is beginning to brown
- Remove from oven, top with sauce and serve
This dish was inspired by an appetizer I had years ago on a ski trip. The original dish was made of Anaheim peppers stuffed with spicy Italian sausage and baked in a rustic tomato sauce. My original intention was to recreate this but finding specific ingredients at the grocery store these days are pretty difficult. So we decided to make due with what we could find. And we are so happy we did, this dish turned out so much better than the original dish I had years ago.
As we stuffed these sweet peppers, we were on the boarder of grilling them on a grill pan instead of baking them. That is still something we want to try, maybe with an avocado sauce to top them once off the grill. But we decided to try to stick to some of the original elements of this dish such as tomato sauce and baking the peppers. So we baked these Chorizo Stuffed Sweet Peppers in the tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella.
When getting all of these ingredients from the store, I’m not going to lie, I was a little deflated at the lack of ingredients we were able to get. But the outcome ended but being better than I imagined. Whatever ingredients you are able to find, make the best of it and get creative in the kitchen. Stuffed peppers of any variety are always delicious. Check out our Healthy Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Peppers too!
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!