Sweetening up our weeknight rotation with these Coconut Chicken Meatballs. These meatballs come together in under 30 minutes perfect for a quick meal after a long day. Bursting with fresh flavor, these meatballs will win your family over in no time. If you’re looking for something new to try, make sure to check out the recipe below!
No idea why, but we have been on a meatball kick before we made these Coconut Chicken Meatballs. Have you tried out French Onion Meatballs yet? Or what about our Chicken Parmesan Meatballs? Well, those are sure yummy and we couldn’t resist trying another meatball recipe. This time we wanted to change from savory to sweet. Looking around the cabinets I noticed a can of coconut milk and it all clicked. At first I was going to use ground turkey but though ground chicken would hold the flavor better. Little by little, the recipe came together on a random Wednesday evening.
Tools you might need
Cookie Scoop: This is optional, we prefer using a cookie scoop to make our meatballs so we get the same size each time. But scooping with your hands or a spoon work just the same!
Ground Chicken: Ground chicken is very wet and really absorbs the flavors of this dish perfectly. We only recommend making these meatballs with ground chicken, ground turkey had a very different taste and ground beef is too greasy and alters the flavor.
Coconut Milk: This is key, the coconut milk and cream on top will provide the perfect sweetness to add to the meatballs. The cream helps to keep the meatballs moist as well since we do not add any egg to the mixture.
Grated Ginger: Grated ginger is the preferred ingredient but you can use ground ginger as well. The fresh ginger adds an extra zing.
Pop of Freshness: For this dish we chose to add red bell peppers for an extra pop of freshness but mango would also be delicious as a garnish for these Coconut Chicken Meatballs.
Step by step
Let’s start making these Coconut Chicken Meatballs. Begin by cooking your rice according to the package direction, add in a tablespoon of salted butter to provide extra creaminess to the rice. While the rice is cooking, add all of the meatball ingredients into one bowl (do not include the oils). Using a cookie scoop or your hands, make individual meatballs. Typically this recipe makes 10 small meatballs. Next bring a large frying pan to heat, add the sesame oil and canola oil and let sit on heat a moment until it is hot. Add the meatballs and start cooking. Every few minutes, rotate the Coconut Chicken Meatballs so all sides are crispy. Once the internal temperature of the meatballs reach 165 degrees internally you can remove and place on paper towels or a paper bag to remove excess oils.
Now that you have your meatballs completed, start the sauce. Using a medium sauce pan, bring the pan to heat over medium and add a table spoon of sesame oil. Add the garlic, shallots, and ginger to the pan a cook for a few minutes until fragrant. Start to add the salt and soy sauce to the pan and mix well. Once the soy sauce is up to heat add in the coconut milk and bring back to a simmer. In a little bowl outside of the sauce pan, mix together the flour and water, slowly pour in the mixture to the coconut sauce and mix well. The flour will activate and thicken the sauce. Cook for a few more minutes and serve over the rice and meatballs. Garnish with your pop of freshness like red bell peppers or mango slices!
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
Coconut Chicken Meatballs
Coconut Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (sits at the top of the coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 2 tsp green onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 3 tsp shallot sliced and minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 1-2 cups rice of your choosing
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thin
Coconut Chicken Meatballs
- Add all ingredients other than the oils to a bowl and mixed well
- Using a cookie scoop or your hands make individual meatballs. This recipe usually makes about 10 meatballs
- In a large pan bring to heat, add sesame oil and canola oil and bring to heat. Add the meatballs and begin to cook. Every few minutes rotate the meatballs so they get crispy on all sides. Once meatballs reach 165° internally, remove from heat and place on paper towels or a paper bag to remove excess oil.
- In a medium sauce pan bring to heat over medium. Add in 1 tbsp sesame oil and let get warm. Add in the garlic, shallots, and ginger. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Next add in the salt and soy sauce. Mix well and bring to heat before adding in the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer.
- Outside of the sauce pan mix flour and water together and then add to the sauce whisking to make sure it doesn't clump up. Let cook a few more minutes and remove from heat.
- Cook rice per package directions and make sure to include the tablespoon of butter when cooking.
- Begin to build your bowl. First add the rice, next the meatballs, and last the red pepper slices. Pour the coconut sauce on top and enjoy!