Lettuce wraps have been overwhelmingly popular the last decade as people are working to cut carbs and increase their veggies. Our Asian Cabbage Wrap does just that! Our saucy chicken mix sits on top of fresh red cabbage to replace a standard wrap.
When preparing this dish make sure to keep in mind the consistency you would like. When it comes to lettuce and cabbage wraps people tend to prefer the finer the veggies and chicken are chopped, the better. Personally, we like them a tad less fine than most. When you chop the ingredients so finely you really do get a blend of flavors in the mixture that you fill the cabbage with.
However, if you make the mixture ingredients a little thicker you can taste each individual ingredient better. It’s a personal preference but we highly recommend trying this out and seeing what you like better. Try this Asian Chicken Cabbage Wrap out both ways and tell us your favorite!
We enjoy sautéing this dish in a nice wide wok, this is the one we use at home. Add a mix of sesame and canola oil and bring to a high heat. The mixture of the oils might seem odd but I promise you will not regret it.
This dish does make enough for 4 but typically it’s just Phillip and I eating so most of the time we eat the chicken mix as lunch the next day over a salad with our Spicy Almond Butter Sauce as a dressing. During the day Phillip likes to add a little more carbs into his diet so he will make this Crunchy Asian Chicken Cabbage Wrap as a flour wrap. We recommend a spinach wrap if possible, it really carries the flavors of this dish.
You can do a lot with this recipe, as mentioned above you can turn the chicken mixture into a salad. The way we have the cabbage cut in the pictures above is how we serve it as an appetizer or a snack for us to share. You can substitute butter lettuce for the red cabbage or use green cabbage. The red cabbage give that extra crunch we all desire for a dish like this however.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
Crunchy Asian Chicken Cabbage Wrap
Ingredients for sauce
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 3 tbsp hosin
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp gojuchang
- 1 tbsp lime juice
Ingredients for chicken mixture
- 4 chicken breast diced
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped finely
- 3 green onions chopped
- ½ red pepper diced
- ½ yellow pepper diced
- head of red cabbage
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Bring pot of water to a boil
- Finely chop the chicken
- Once water is at a boil, add chicken for 1 minute and strain
- Finely chop carrots, peppers, and green onion
- In small bowl mix together sauce ingredients until blended
- Add sesame oil and canola oil to wok or saute pan and bring to high heat
- Add chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add peppers, carrots, and green onions. Mix well with chicken
- Stir in sauce and reduce heat to medium
- Cook for 5-7 minutes and take off heat
- Let rest 5 minutes
- While chicken mixture is resting carefully peel off cabbage leaves and slice in half to hold your chicken mixture
- Spoon in mixture to cabbage and garnish with sesame seeds