What is better on a Friday night than some take out from your favorite Chinese restaurant? Not much else in my opinion but since we can’t do that right now, we’ve decided to make it ourselves. This Fried Rice with Spicy Honey Chicken makes us feel just like we ordered in, chopsticks and all!
Spicy Honey Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts cubed
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp sriracha
- ¼ cup sugar
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Cube chicken and place in zip lock bag
- Add ⅓ cup corn starch to chicken and mix well
- In sauce pan add water, sriracha, honey, soy, sugar, and garlic powder and whisk until sauce is to a boil
- Add the cornstarch/water mix to sauce to thicken
- In a new pan add oil (I used canola) and bring to high heat
- Add chicken to pan and bring down to medium heat
- Brown chicken. Once cooked, remove chicken from pan and place on paper towels or brown paper bag to crisp
- Add chicken to sauce and mix well. Top with crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cup rice
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 2 green onion chopped
- ½ white onion chopped
- 1 cup kimchi
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 5 tbsp butter
- Cook rice as directed on rice packaging
- Once rice is cooked, place on pan to cool
- After cooling for up to 5 minutes, put 2 tbsp canola oil and 2 tbsp sesame oil in wok or large skillet over medium head
- Add rice and let rice crisp up while adding salt and pepper
- after rice has browned and crispier remove rice from skillet and set to side
- In same wok or skillet add 2 tbsp canola oil 2 tbsp sesame oil and bring to up to temp over medium-high heat
- Add Carrots, Onions, Kimchi, 2 tbsp butter and peas into skillet and let cook while stirring for 4-5 minutes adding salt and pepper as needed
- Add in rice and continue to mix until sauce has been absorbed in rice.
- Add in soy sauce and continue to stir for 3-4 minutes
If you haven’t checked out our Cauliflower Fried Rice for a less-carb filled dish, it’s AMAZING! But all in all the flavors of the fried rice are similar. This dish is so amazing because of the spicy honey chicken. If you are sensitive to spicy just tone that down or add a bit more honey to keep that sticky sauce.
Many people think to remove the spice you should not add kimchi, but it won’t mild the taste out much and instead you are now missing those flavors. Try out our house Kimchi recipe too! We can eat this out of the jar. We do love to add it to ramen or really anything. Our Hot Veggie Ramen doesn’t call for any kimchi, but it’s always a good addition. With all of this stay in place going on, Phillip and I decided to make a big batch of kimchi the first week of quarantine so we could make this Fried Rice with Spicy Honey Chicken in place of our normal take out!
While we are excited to get back to our normal routines and Friday night take out of Sushi or Chinese take out, we are happy to have this delicious recipe to make in the meantime. Hope you all are keeping well during this time of unknown and that our recipes are helpful in making your meals yummy! Please stay safe and remain at home if you are fortunate to do so.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!