What is the biggest rival in our house, tostadas versus tacos! My vote is our healthy and simple chicken tostadas but Phillip’s vote is for tacos. I LOVE tacos, do NOT get me wrong. Our Slow Cooker Honey Pork Tacos is a dish I can eat weekly, if not daily. But, please don’t take this the wrong way, but tacos are limiting.
You need to be able to fold tacos up to eat them and it really limits the amount of toppings you can add. And who wants to limit their toppings?Not me, that’s for sure. You have to worry about the tortilla breaking or even worse running out of room if you have the hard tortilla shells. Once you fill those, you cant try to stuff it even more or you will get a cracked shell. Well, do I have news for you, tostadas solves that dilemma.
Stack these bad boys as high as you would like. While you eat them if the toppings begin to fall off, just scoop them back on! Make sure to fry your tortillas to get that great crunch you crave with these. If you don’t feel like frying these and having to deal with the oil, get a package of tostadas already crunched up for you.
We topped our tortillas tostadas with black beans, corn, chicken, avocado, and so much more. But you can top these with whatever you want. Any of your favorite taco recipes can be made into tostadas. Whatever you make into tostadas make sure to top it with our cilantro lime sauce, it is AMAZING. I want to drink this recipe. We make ours with plain greek yogurt as well so you don’t need to feel any guilt adding any extra toppings to your tostadas.
From our kitchen to your, cheers!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 avocado
- cilantro lime sauce
- olive oil
- queso fresco
- Add salt, pepper, and pinch of cumin to chicken and saute in pan until cooked
- Once chicken is cooked, place in bowl and shred
- In frying pan add a splash of oil and bring to high heat
- Add drained corn and saute until corn is slightly charred. Remove from pan and place aside
- In small bowl bring beans to simmer. Strain and smash to create a thick, chunky paste
- In frying pan add oil and bring to high heat
- Add corn tortillas and fry until golden brown and crisp. Place on brown paper or paper towel to dry
- To construct your tostada place tortilla on plate, spread black beans on top, add shredded chicken, corn, cheese of your choice (we used queso fresco), a squeeze of a lime, cilantro lime sauce and garnish with cilantro