Every new year we all tell ourselves that we’re going to exercise more, sleep more, and most of all, eat healthier. With the best of intentions each year I try my best to do this and always end up falling off the wagon by the 15th, let’s be real. After many years of doing this, I have found that instead of depriving myself the things I love, I should embrace them but with a healthy twist.
Our healthy chicken parmesan stuffed peppers is just that. A healthy twist on a comfort food favorite! All the flavor a minimal guilt in our healthy chicken parmesan stuffed peppers.
This was such a nice way to end a long day. We could cook something simple, enjoy it, and not have to feel guilty after. Well, maybe we could have stopped before eating a sleeve of chocolate chips cookies. But, it’s give and take, right?
Our take on Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce pairs so well with this recipe. It is so simple and creamy it allows the flavor of the peppers and parsley to shine. We’ve made this recipe with other tomato sauces in the past but this has been by far our favorite way to make this healthy twist.
If you want a little more sustenance to this dish, you can had breadcrumbs to you chicken and vegetable skillet. While this may not be the healthiest version, it is also better than fried chicken cullet parmesan. You know, the kind you start dozing off at the table because you are so full.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
Healthy Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Peppers
- 4 peppers
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 2/3 cup mozarella
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 2 tsp fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp parmesan grated
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce try our take on Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce
- Cook chicken with salt and pepper, once cooked, shred chicken
- Cut the tops off of the peppers and save tops
- Cut onion and remaining pepper off the tops
- Over medium heat add chicken broth and bring to simmer
- Add onion and pepper, cook 3-5 minutes or until onion starts to loose color
- Add shredded chicken and simmer 3-5 more minutes until flavors cook together
- Add red pepper, a pinch of parsley, 1/2 mozzarella, parmesan, sauce (save a little for when it's ready to serve)
- Stuff peppers with chicken mixture and coat with mozzarella
- Bake for 35-40 minutes
- Remove from oven, garnish with parsley, parmesan, and serve over your favorite pasta