This summer we had quite the abundance of jalapeño peppers from our garden and what better to make than Jalapeño Smothered Chorizo Chicken with them. This dish has such a powerful burst of fresh flavor, you won’t be able to put your fork down. Jalapeño in the name might throw you off and think this recipe is overly spicy and that you wouldn’t enjoy it. I am here to tell you that is not the case. The monterey jack cheese takes the edge off and baking the chicken helps burn off some of the kick. So turn that oven on and get cooking!
Jalapeño Smothered Chorizo Chicken
- 4 jalapeños
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- ½ yellow onion chopped roughly
- 3 green onions stems cut off
- 2 hatch chilis
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
Smothered Chorizo Chicken
- 2 chicken breast
- ½ lb chorizo
- ½ cup monterey jack cheese shredded
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth
Smothered Chorizo Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Cook the chorizo on the stove until completely cooked and drain the grease
- Take the chicken breasts and slice a deep cut into the side of the chicken breasts to create a pocket to stuff the chicken
- Stuff the chorizo and shredded monterey jack cheese into the pockets of the chicken
- Smother the stuffed chicken with the jalapeno sauce
- On a racked baking sheet add the jalapeno smothered chorizo chicken and add more jalapeno sauce on top
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip the chicken and add more sauce on top
- Bake for another 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°
- Remove from oven and serve with yellow rice and sauted veggies!
We decided to serve this Jalapeño Smothered Chorizo Chicken over yellow rice and grilled veggies. You can sautés or bake these veggies but the charred flavor you get from the grill is incredible. If you get chicken breasts big enough, it would probably be so flavorful to stuff some of the veggies into the chicken with the chorizo and monterey jack cheese. But if you can’t, just the chorizo and monterey jack cheese will make this Jalapeño Smothered Chorizo Chicken outstanding!
If you do enjoy spice however, make a double batch of this sauce to add to other recipes. We have been using the jalapeño sauce from this Jalapeño Smothered Chorizo Chicken as a topper on tacos, eggs, and countless other dishes. The sauce does get pretty thick when it is stored in the fridge so make sure to take it out and let it sit for a bit before you are ready to use it. If you are planning to add it to a warm dish, I do recommend heating the sauce just a little to bring out the flavors more.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!