Want a burst of freshness and trying to keep the meal light and healthy, try out our new Lemon Butter Spaghetti Squash. We created this dish a few months back after never have eaten spaghetti squash before. We had heard for years how wonderful it was and also extremely versatile. So on a whim as soon as we began seeing them at the grocery store we got our hands on this healthy, yet hearty veggie! This Lemon Butter Spaghetti Squash then began evolving and we are sure happy with the outcome.
Lemon Butter Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 chicken breasts chopped into cubes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp dill chopped
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp arrowroot mixed with water
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- Chop the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds
- Brush with olive oil, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper and lay face down on a baking tray. Bake for 40 minutes
- While the squash is baking, in a large saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter
- Once the butter is melted add the garlic for 1-2 minutes and than add the chicken
- Sprinkle in the salt and pepper and cook the chicken until 160°
- Slowly pour in the lemon juice, honey, and dill. Bring to heat
- Add in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer
- Stir in the arrowroot with water and mix well. Bring the heat down to low and let thicken.
- Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven, using a fork tear up the inside of the squash to create the "spaghetti". Spoon in the lemon butter chicken and sauce. Enjoy!
How to make and store the Lemon Butter Spaghetti Squash
To start this dish, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. To make this a bit easier place the squash in the microwave whole for about 3 minutes to make it a little softer and easier to slice. Coat the inside with olive oil, salt, and pepper, lay the squash face down on a baking pan and bake for 40 minutes. I know 40 minutes seems like a lot of time but it gives you enough time to than work on the rest of the meal and clean up a little before the squash is ready.
In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once the butter is melted add the garlic until fragrant and then the chicken. Sprinkle the salt and pepper in the pan. Cook the chicken till about 160 degrees and then pour in the lemon juice, honey, and dill. Bring all of these ingredients up to heat. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and once you reach a simmer add the arrowroot with water. Bring the heat down to low to let thicken. This would be a good time to check the chicken and make sure it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
This is the perfect time to clean off the cutting board, knife, and measuring utensils while waiting the last few minutes for the squash. Remove the squash from the oven and using a fork shred the squash. Pour on the chicken and sauce into the squash and serve.
If you happen to have leftovers, and that is a big if, make sure to store properly. Scoop out any of the squash from the shell and store in an airtight container with the chicken and sauce. The shell won’t heat the best the next day so it is better to remove it now. The sauce will seep into the squash over night and make for a really tasty Lemon Butter Spaghetti Squash left. Heat this up for a few minutes and enjoy again, this time with even more flavor!
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!