Boy, oh boy, have we been on a donut kick. These Lemon Glazed Blueberry Donuts are the newest creation straight out of our tiny kitchen. We have been pumping out some hot items from our kitchen, literally. With the oven on and the heat here in Maryland, we really should be bringing you some of those no-bake desserts. But these are just too delicious to keep that oven off. So turn that oven on and let’s get baking.
Lemon Glazed Blueberry Donuts
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 ¼ cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ⅓ cup blueberries
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In large bowl add dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well to get out any chunks
- Add eggs and vanilla greek yogurt. Stir together with the dry ingredients until mixed together
- Add softened butter, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the bowl and continue to mix until you get a smooth consistency
- Pour in blueberries to the bowl and mix softly to not break the berries
- In donut pan add blueberry mixture in each donut placement. Make sure not to fill to the top as the dough will bake and rise. Fill donut placement about ¾ of the way high with donut mixture
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and donut pan and let rest on rack to cool
- While donuts are cooling, mix together the lemon glaze ingredients in a small bowl until you get out any powdered sugar chunks
- Brush the lemon glaze on top of the blueberry donuts and serve!
My excuse for the oven being on and baking is that these are summer flavors. I say this as Phillip rolls his eyes. The fresh flavors of tangy berries and citrus scream summer. Made with greek yogurt to lighten them up, lets you have a fresh sweet without weighing you down. I hate that about donuts. Don’t get me wrong, I am down for donuts. Any time, any day. But if you eat more than one you feel that dough just sit at the bottom of your stomach. These won’t do that. Maybe that’s why they are so addictive.
I mean, people, look at the way those blueberries exploded in the dough while baking. They are just exploding for attention. And I am first up to eat them and give them the attention they deserve. While I am all about the filled donuts, sometimes the gooeyness is just too much (not complaining at all though, I will like the plate). But the blueberries in this donut provide just a bit of drip-page to make for an easy breakfast or snack without having to worry about getting anything on your clothes.
These silicone donut pans have come in handy during quarantine. If you haven’t tried them yet, bake up a round of our Banana Bread Donuts with Chocolate Glazed on top. Really, anything I use to make as a loaf or a scone I am modifying to make as donuts. There’s something about donuts and these mini one’s that make them pop-able and coming back for more.
Watch out for more!
Don’t worry, I know what you’re thinking and YES, we will be making pumpkin spiced donuts this fall! I am already thinking about the recipe. They will be sweet yet give off that fall spice we crave come October. Donuts are now my thing. What else can I make? Email us and let us know if there are any sweet recipes you are wanting!
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!