This Mediterranean Arugula Lentil Salad has been my recent go-to for lunch during the week. This salad is light and also super filling, it leaves you satisfied until dinner every time. This dish originally was created by us to satisfy our meatless Monday lunch and was just so delicious to leave to only Mondays. Incorporating some fresh veggies like arugula, red onion, and cucumbers, as well as a hearty lentil protein, this dish proves to be nourishing and wholesome!
Typically, when Phillip and I make this Mediterranean Arugula Lentil Salad, we don’t have any leftovers. But if you love this dish as much as we both do, double the batch so you can have this for lunch tomorrow as well! We store the lentils and roasted red peppers separately that way they don’t cause the arugula to become soggy when being stored in the fridge. Same goes for the vinaigrette. Make sure to store the vinaigrette in an airtight container. This can be stored for about 2 weeks in the fridge. If you have some extra, try as a quick marinate on some chicken!
How to make this Mediterranean Arugula Lentil Salad
Start by making the lentils, first rinse the green lentils and pat dry. In a small pot over medium heat add the vegetable stock and lentils. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Put the lid on and let cook until all of the stock is absorbed, this typically takes about 20 minutes, once cooked, let cool. Next rinse and drain the chickpeas, pat dry and add to a big salad bowl. Add in your arugula, chopped veggies, and feta cheese.
Take the roasted red peppers and pat them dry to remove some of the excess oil, then add to the big salad bowl. Once the lentils have cooled after cooking, add to the salad bowl. Mix all of the salad ingredients together. Last, spoon in your desired amount of red wine vinaigrette and mix into the other ingredients to combine before serving this Mediterranean Arugula Lentil Salad!
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
Mediterranean Arugula Lentil Salad
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 cucumber chopped
- ½ red onion chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers chopped
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ cup green lentil
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup oilive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Rinse and drain your green lentils before adding to a pot with the vegetable stock over medium heat. Bring pot to heat and then lower heat to a simmer, cover, and let cook until the lentils have fully absorbed the vegetable stock. This takes about 20 minutes.
- Chop up red onion and cucumber, add to a big salad bowl with the arugula
- Pat the roasted red peppers to remove some of the oil and add to the bowl. Crumble up the feta and add to the bowl
- Lastly, drain and rinse the chickpeas before putting in the salad bowl with the other ingredients. Once the lentils are cooked, let cool and add to the salad bowl
- Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and spoon in your desired amount of dressing before serving