The summer time always calls for fresh tasting food that doesn’t weigh you down. Our Mediterranean Chicken and Eggplant Fries is the perfect summer dish. The chicken marinade is refreshing and the eggplant fries satisfies your cravings while still keeping it light. Pair these two together and you have a meal ready in an hour! Try out our Spicy Feta Dip with these fries if you want to kick it up a notch.
Mediterranean Chicken and Eggplant Fries
- 2 chicken breasts pounded thinly
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 juice from a lime
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1 eggplant sliced into fries
- 2 eggs scrambled in a bowl
- 2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp parsley
- ¼ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp onion powder
- ¼ tbsp thyme
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Slice eggplant into fries but toss aside the middle slices with mainly seeds
- Lay eggplant on paper towels, add salt, and lay another layer of paper towels on top to remove some of the excess water
- In a bowl scramble two eggs well
- In another medium bowl add panko breadcrumbs and other fry seasoning and mix well
- Lay a baking sheet out with parchment paper lined on top
- Dip eggplant into egg mixture, coat in breadcrumbs, and then lay on baking sheet
- Continue until all eggplant slices are breaded and laid flat on the pan
- Bake for 20 minutes or until breading is browning
- While fries are cooking, in a zip lock bag add all mediterranean chicken ingredients and shake well to coat. Let rest for 5-10 minutes
- In pan over medium heat bring some olive oil to heat
- Add chicken to pan and cook 3-5 minutes on each side or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°
- Remove from pan and let rest
- To make the feta, in a blender add ingredients and pulse. Add more olive oil if needed until you get a pasty texture
- Serve mediterranean chicken, eggplant fries, and whipped feta together and serve with a lemon
Like many of you, so far this summer has consisted of cooking at home and making more use than ever before of our backyard. Even though our yard is small, we are out there almost every single day for a few hours. Summers before this would be spent traveling to the beach, visiting family, and exploring new places and the food that comes with it. One place Phillip and I have on our Bucket List is Greece and all of the amazing cities on the coastline. We took our love of Greek cuisine and came up with a quick dinner we can make at home. If we close our eyes we can almost smell the ocean breeze.
Is feta my only option?
Dipping this chicken and the eggplant fries in whipped feta is always going to be amazing but maybe feta isn’t your thing, than what? We suggest regardless to spritz some lemon on top of the chicken and eggplant fries before eating to really bring out the herby flavors. If feta is not a favorite try this out with some hummus or tzatziki. Either or both of these will keep the Greek flavor profile alive and give you that creaminess this dish needs.
If you like this dish, make sure to try out our Greek Spinach and Feta Meatball Naan next! That dish is another refreshing meal to make in a pinch and keep light.
From our kitchen to your, cheers!