This is the one recipe that continues to surprise us. We created this salsa verde originally to make a crowd pleasing salsa for a 4th of July party. Day’s following we decided to use the leftover verde as a chicken marinade and were stunned with how delicious it was.
From there this recipe has sky-rocketed. We have added this to fried rice, pizza, steak, and our favorite cheesy chicken salsa verde skillet. Making the Salsa Verde always seems to inspire us to make something new with this recipe. This recipe is so simple to make and the ingredients are always available at the store! Which makes this a staple in our house.
I love the smell this sauce brings to the kitchen when we are chopping the vegetables and blending the sauce. This is our favorite blender for this sauce, the ninja blender. It’s so convenient, after blending the sauce all we need to do is put the top on the container and clean the blade. Minimal dishes required. Even in the dead of winter, it makes me feel like it’s an 85 and sunny day in July. Next thing you know we crack open a few beers or even make some rum punch! Swizzle straws and all.
We love making this year round but the joy of going to the farmer’s market in the spring and summer and gathering these ingredients from our local vendors makes it just that much more satisfying.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 4 green onions
- 1-2 jalapeños
- 3 heirloom tomatoes as green as possible
- 5 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tbps salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- Brush veggies with olive oil
- Add veggies to grill or skillet (check out our fav grill pan here)
- After 1 minute add salt and pepper to veggies
- After 3 minutes flip, let grill for another 3 minutes and remove from grill
- Add all veggies and remainder of ingredients to blender, blend until smooth
- If you like this spicy add an additional jalapeño