During Saint Patties Day, there are a couple things for which you need to prepare. Wear green to avoid being pinched, go out and buy Irish whiskey to make cocktails, and most importantly make a party appetizer that will help to soak up all that alcohol. Shepard’s Pie Potato Skins are up to that task.
Shepard’s Pie Potato Skins
Ground Beef Mixture
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- ½ onion diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 package of Lipton onion soup mix
- 1 ¼ cup beef stock
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup flour
- 8 potatoes
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Puncture the potatoes and wrap in wet paper towels. Microwave for 5 minutes, flip them and then microwave them for another 5 minutes
- Leave the potatoes aside to cool a little and peel your carrots. Dice the carrots, onion, and garlic and leave to the side.
- Slice the potatoes in half and scoop out the inside into a bowl to be used for the mashed potatoes
- In the bowl with the insides of the potatoes add the butter, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and milk and mix until smooth
- In saute pan add ground beef and cook. Drain grease
- Add carrots, onions, and garlic to the ground beef pan and cook for 5 minutes
- Add peas and stir. Add in 1 cup of beef broth, worcestershire sauce, lipton onion soup mix, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Mix well
- In small bowl all ¼ cup flour and ¼ cup beef broth mix until the flour is dissolved in the broth
- Add the flour mixture to the beef and stir well. Once this begins to thicken remove from the heat and continue to mix well with the ground beef and vegetables.
- Slice potato skins in half on a diagonal and fill with ground beef mixture. Place on baking sheet
- Top with mashed potatoes and bake for 10-15 minute or until the mashed potatoes are golden brown on top
- Remove from oven and serve
Val and I were thinking about this Saint Patty’s and wanting to put a twist on the deliciousness that is Shepard’s Pie. We are both VERY big fans of mashed potato’s and potato skins, so the combination was merely a matter of time. It’s literally a portable Shepard’s Pie and these bad boys will absorb more alcohol than your friends can put away. The only problem you’ll have is you didn’t make enough!
You can deep fry the potato skins and if you decide to go that route, more power to you! There are a number of things you can do to accomplish this appetizer easier if needed. You can microwave the potatoes. Just stab the potatoes with a fork all the way around. Cover in a wet paper towel and microwave for 10 minutes. We tried this method out and for the first batch it was good, so that’s what we put in our recipe. Microwaving does zap all the nutrition out of food,, but if you need them in a hurry its an options. You could also buy the potato skins by themselves and use instant mashed potatoes.
I would recommend having some potato skins on standby if you’re having a party. Just use our recommended cooking for the start of the party. Then as the night goes on, if you need more, use instant mashed potatoes.
However you make these Shepard’s Pie Potato Skins, have fun with it! From our kitchen to yours, cheers!