Sushi is one of our absolutely favorite date nights to have. We get sushi almost weekly, we love it so much. For my birthday this year, my best friend got me a sushi making kit as well as some other goodies. While I do want to take a stab at making and rolling sushi it’s tough to find the time. Another go to for us on a busy week night or just any night we are feeling lazy is our Easy Weeknight Sushi Bowls.
These Sushi Bowls are so quick and simple to make. We like to use tuna, english cucumbers, carrots, avocado, and cabbage. But many times we make this it is one of those clean out the fridge recipes. The spicy mayo makes this dish but you can add whatever toppings you love. We add jalapeños and onion the nights we are looking for more of a kick.
While we really have only made this bowl with tuna, you can substitute in any other protein or additional toppings you would like. Also if you are looking to swap in a healthier grain try out brown rice or even quinoa with this Sushi Bowl. The options for different kinds of healthy bowls like this and our Mediterranean Bowls are endless nowadays. I love this trend of healthy bowls, everything from smoothie bowls to salads.
With all the rice and grains we make in this house we really need to get ourselves a rice maker. Like this or maybe even this fancy one! I have heard you can use an Instant Pot to make rice, we will have to try that our now that we have one. We really need to start using our new Instant Pot, people rave out them but I am honestly a little intimidated. Any suggestions to start with?
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
Easy Weeknight Sushi Bowls
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 english cucumber chopped
- ½ cup cabbage chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 cup rice cooked
- 2 tuna steaks seasoned with salt and pepper
- ¼ cup black and white sesame seeds
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- Put 2 cups of rice on a simmer with water to cook
- While rice is cooking chop all veggies needed
- In small bowl mix all spicy mayo ingredients together
- Once rice is almost cooked, salt and pepper tuna steaks and sear for 1 minute on each side
- Remove tuna from pan and slice thin, tuna should still be very red inside
- Add rice to the bottom of the bowl and top with veggies
- Add tuna and avocado, garnish with green onion and sesame seeds
- Top with spicy mayo and enjoy!