We have tacos at least once a week in our house. We make our Classic Baked Tacos all the time and switch it up with some of our other favorites, but sometimes we aren’t in the mood for a heavy taco and instead make our Sweet Potato Brussel Tacos. These tacos are sweet but salty with just a touch of spice from the sauce. Check out the recipe below and add it to your next taco rotation!
Sweet Potato Brussel Tacos
- 3 sweet potatoes chopped into bite sized cubes
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup diced pancetta
- ¼ yellow onion diced
- 1 package brussel sprouts
- 8 tortillas
Spicy Sour Cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 4 tsp hot sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°
- On a sheet pan add sweet potatoes, avocado oil or olive oil, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix well and bake for 40 minutes
- Chop brussel sprouts into quarters and try to seperate the leaves as much as possible
- In a large saute pan over medium heat cook the pancetta for 5 minutes
- Add the onion and brussel sprouts and continue to saute and let the brussels begin to brown a little
- Remove brussels from heat and sweet potatoes from the oven
- Mix all of the spicy sour cream ingredients together and assemble tacos in tortillas with the sweet potatoes, brussels, and top with the spicy sour cream
How do you make this Sweet Potato Brussel Tacos?
This recipe is really quite simple but it does take some time to roast the sweet potatoes. We don’t add too much to any of the main ingredients because we wanted to keep the true flavors at the forefront of this Sweet Potato Brussel Taco dish. First, preheat the oven and mix the sweet potatoes with oil, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Make sure you coat each of the sweet potato cubes to ensure every bite has a great flavor. Throw the pan in the oven and let these babies roast!
Next it’s time for the Brussels in the Sweet Potato Brussel Tacos. They really do add to this dish and make these the best fall tacos. Try your best when removing the stem and quartering to loosen the leaves in the bowl. Originally when we made this we shaved the brussel sprouts just like we do in the Brussel Sprout Caesar Salad. But we found that the brussels got too soggy in the oil and didn’t brown the way we had hoped. Once the brussels and onions are cut up, cook the pancetta a few minutes and then let the brussels get a bit of a char.
Lastly, while the sweet potatoes are finishing up, mix together your Spicy Sour Cream sauce and set aside. Now, don’t let the name throw you, the sauce has a hint of spice and the sweetness from the sweet potatoes will even it out. To finish up, make your Sweet Potato Brussel Tacos and enjoy!!
Inspiration behind the these fall tacos
The fall is always a time when we crave hearty foods but we want to make sure that they are good for us. Some classic staples we tend to gravitate towards in the fall are sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, and tacos because we always crave tacos. With a bit of onion and something salty, pancetta, it picks up the sweetness and pairs so well. Phillip came up with the spicy sour cream to give you the full flavor spectrum.