These Sweet Potato Chorizo Fries are loaded up and ready to fill your bellies with bliss. Made with ingredients sweet potatoes, chorizo, veggies, and pantry staples. These fries come together quick and are sure to put a smile on your face when you dig in. Make them for a meal or as an appetizer to watch the game. Check out the recipe below and make them for yourself!
These Sweet Potato Chorizo Fries accidentally happened one afternoon. Phillip had made the chorizo mixture with a pasta for dinner and we had some leftovers. The next day for lunch I was trying to scrounge together something easy, so I heated up a sweet potato and decided to add the chorizo mixture on top. I was blown away with how perfect the savory flavor of the chorizo and the sweetness from the potatoes paired together. Phillip and I knew we needed to make this into a meal. We decided to make the sweet potatoes into fries and thicken up the sauce a little so it resembled more of a chili. We could not have predicted how delicious the results are.
Air Fryer: This is optional as you can bake the fries in the oven as well. We chose to use the air fryer because we are obsessed with our air fryer!
Chorizo: This savory and spicy sausage gives a nice kick to the almost chili-like topping on the sweet potatoes. If you don’t like chorizo or can’t get your hands on some, use hot Italian sausage instead.
Sweet Potatoes: We love sweet potatoes in this Sweet Potato Chorizo Fries because they give a sweet undertone to balance the spicy from the chorizo. You can use regular potatoes as your fries instead of sweet potatoes as well.
Chilies in Adobo: We use chilies in adobo for so many things and basically bulk order this now. This gives a savory yet spicy kick to the sauce the chorizo is in.
Spices: For this recipe we used a mixture of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt to season our sweet potato fries. It provides the perfect hint of savory and spicy.
Step by step
Start this Sweet Potato Chorizo Fries recipe by preheating your oven or air fryer to 375 degrees. Slice up your sweet potatoes into wedges or really whatever your desired thickness is. Coat the potatoes in paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. If you are baking these potatoes and not using the air fryer, also add some olive oil to the potatoes. Place on a baking sheet or the in the air fryer and begin cooking. The air fryer cooks these for 20 minutes, flipping half way through. The oven should be roughly the same amount of time, you may need an extra 5 minutes or so in the oven.
Heat a pan over medium heat, once heated add the chorizo, onion, and garlic to the pan and begin to cook through. Cook the chorizo until done and drain the grease. Add the chorizo back to the pan over medium heat and add the diced tomatoes, red bell pepper, chilies in adobo, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few minutes or until the tomatoes and bell peppers are soft. Pour in the beef broth and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer and lower the heat. Let cook about 10 minutes. Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven or air fryer, salt, and serve with the chorizo on top of the sweet potatoes. Garnish with cheese or sour cream.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
Sweet Potato Chorizo Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 lb chorizo
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ yellow onion diced
- 3 vine tomatoes diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 chilies in adobo minced
- 1 ½ cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Preheat oven or air fryer to 375°
- Slice your sweet potatoes into wedges and coat in seasoning (paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt). If you are baking add about a tablespoon of oil to the potatoes as well. Lay on baking sheet or air frying rack and begin to cook. Air fryer: Cook 20 minutes flipping half way through. Oven: Cook 30 minutes flipping half way through.
- In a large pan over medium add the chorizo, garlic, and onion. Cook until chorizo is fully cooked. Drain grease and add the chorizo back to the pan.
- Over medium heat add the tomatoes, red bell pepper, chilies in adobe, salt and pepper to the pan with the chorizo. Cook about 5 minutes or until the tomatoes and peppers become soft.
- Pour in the beef broth and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer and lower heat. Cook about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to a plate and serve with chorizo on top. Garnish with cheese or sour cream!