Our latest refreshing concoction, Watermelon Mint Coolers. We have been drinking these on repeat every weekend. On these 90 degree plus Maryland afternoons there is nothing we crave more than something ice cold and has such a crisp flavor. And the lil’ buzz after a few of these coolers is quite nice as well. For anyone who would prefer a mocktail, just leave out the vodka & still just as crispy and refreshing!
Watermelon Mint Cooler
- 1 cups watermelon cut up
- 5 mint leaves
- ½ lime squeezed
- 1½ oz vodka
- In a blender add the 2 cups of cut up watermelon and blend until smooth
- In cup squeeze in half of a lime
- Slap the mint to activate and add to the cup with lime juice
- Muddle the mint and lime juice to really extract the flavor. If you like your drink a bit sweeter this is a chance to add a little agave, only about ½ tsp
- Add ice to the cup with lime juice and mint
- Pour in vodka and fill the cup about ⅔ with the blended watermelon
- Fill the rest of the cup with seltzer, stir and serve (with an umbrella of course!)
Do I need to use vodka?
That is our preference because of the lack of flavor in vodka. Vodka tends to take on whatever taste the drink is filled with. So even with the vodka addition, this drink is filled with minty watermelon, & a hint of lime. If you decided on a flavored vodka, weirdly enough we have found that the Kettle One Cucumber Mint Vodka is actually perfect with this. But we do prefer just a plain Titos. If you are not a big vodka person, than rum is quite delicious with this Watermelon Mint Cooler. If you are able to choose, white rum with this is more preferable than a darker rum.
Tell me more about that mocktail…
During the week, Phillip and I try to stay away from alcohol. We work hard to stay healthy and then treat ourselves a bit on the weekend. While there is nothing wrong with indulging mid-week in the occasional drink, we don’t always feel the need to have vodka in it. Many times when you create a mocktail from an alcoholic drink, you need to substitute the alcohol with something else. Not this Watermelon Mint Cooler! Just leave out the vodka and you have the perfect summer time, backyard, sunshine drink. Hey, maybe add a little umbrella for effect because we all know with the umbrella the drink tastes a million times better! And I also always envision that I am sitting on a beach somewhere instead of in my backyard in the city of Baltimore.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!