So if you read our last post you know we have been in the potato skin mood. Even though we LOVE them. We also want to make sure we are balancing our meals, so we made Baked Zucchini Skins. If you are trying to be keto friendly or just watching what you are eating, these are a great alternative to the traditional potato skins. Trust me, you will feel much better the next day after binging on these instead of the classic potato skins even though they are just so good.
- 2 zucchini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ⅔ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 green onion
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup bacon bits
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Bring pot of water to boil and add zucchinis for 10 minutes to blanch
- Remove zucchini and slice in half length wise
- Scoop out inside of zucchini to create walls on the sides
- On baking pan, brush zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper
- Bake zucchini in oven for 10 minutes
- Add cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted to your liking
- Remove from oven, add sour cream, bacon bits, green onions and serve
If you make the zucchini make sure to boil them for 10 minutes prior to starting, that way you can easily scoop our the middle and don’t need too long to bake these Baked Zucchini Skins. I mean once you add cheese to anything, you instantly get hungry. My stomach was GROWLING watching the cheese melt.
The best part about this recipe is that you can really make it whatever you want. You can add different types of cheese, different fillings, and definitely different garnishes. Make these Baked Zucchini Skins as healthy or unhealthy as you would like and cater to your specific pallet. Have fun, switch it up, and enjoy this recipe however you choose!
Eating these we never feel guilty after. Most of the time when we make these we use 2-3 zucchinis because it is typically just us eating them but yesterday when we made these for the game with friends, we made 6 zucchini and were shocked when they all went! It was a crowd favorite for sure, so we hope you enjoy our take on baked zucchini skins. And all of those will fit on these new pans we’ve been loving recently! No need for the foil at all, the melted cheese just slid right off. Isn’t it the worst when you sit down to eat knowing you have a pile of burnt on pans?
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!